Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Happy Birthday Grandad!!


Today is Granddad's Birthday! He is pictured here on the left with my Mother-In-Love (center) and his lovely wife and my Grandmother (right). (In case you were wondering I have banned the use of the term "Mother-In-Law" it just sounds so legalistic and cold.) Some of you may know the lovely story of how he came to be my granddad but it is a very nontraditional story that I believe is worth sharing. So here it is (abbreviated version):
My dear Mother - In -Love lost both of her parents at a very young age. As an adult, she always looked up to Dr. & Mrs. Fryar as the mother/father figure in her life. Eventually she got up the nerve to share with them all of her feelings and the influence they have had on her life. I am not sure if she expected fully what was to follow, but ever since that wonderful day they have adopted her as their daughter. A Pastor friend of mine always says adoption comes with something very special - a guarantee that you are wanted. Wanted is what we have all felt from that day forward. They not only adopted her, but all of her children (which includes me -- yippee!) as their very own grandchildren.
Today, on Granddad's birthday, I must say that it is truly an honor to be called one of his grandchildren. He has graced us to get to know him on a personal level and offers up some of the best grandfatherly advice & words of encouragement. We've shared great conversations over dinner, a bowl of popcorn, and even have a love for the same movie (Transformers). When he calls just to say hi, I have to admit I morph into a 5 year old kindergartner with pig tails who hangs on his every word (between you and me, my Mother-In-Love does too). We have all been touched by the love and care that they show our entire family and count our relationship with them as one of God's greatest blessings to our family. So on this birthday of his as I was thinking of what kind of card to send I came to the conclusion that sometimes cards just don't do justice (and I love cards). Today a tribute seemed much more appropriate. I felt it was time the world knew (or at least those of you who read this blog) that WE HAVE THE GREATEST GRANDAD (and GRANDMA) IN THE WORLD!!! So here's to Dr. Jerry Fryar, our Grandad. Happy Birthday Grandad!!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Happy Birthday! What a great story this is. Thanks for sharing it.

melanie. said...

hey kristi & tim! congrats on the pregnancy